Just ordered a nice carafe at Whisiskey! But now you’re wondering, how long will whiskey actually stay in the carafe?
Whiskey stays in a carafe as long as in the bottle, 1 to 2 years. The quality of the whiskey is not affected in the carafe if you pay attention to the following 3 points:
- Make sure the carafe is big enough for the whole bottle. This way you don’t have to spoil any of the whiskey.
- Make sure there is no lead in the carafe. Lead gives off in the whiskey and changes the taste. Lead is also poisonous and therefore not fine in your whiskey.
- Make sure the carafe has an airtight cap. This will prevent air from entering the carafe and the taste of the whiskey will not be affected.
ADVANTAGES OF A WHISKY CARAFE
The carafe has been in use for a long time. People used to go to the market with their carafe and fill the carafe directly from the barrel. Nowadays this is not done anymore but people have a carafe at home. In this time they buy a bottle of whiskey at the liquor store and then donate it to a carafe. A carafe is more fun in the living room than a bottle.
The biggest advantage of a whiskey decanter is of course the looks it brings. Nowadays carafes are available in different shapes, sizes and materials. Often a carafe is a showpiece in the room and the pride of a man.
In a whiskey carafe you can store small quantities. Carafes come in different sizes and can therefore be adapted to the remainder of the whiskey. It is important that a carafe is not more than half the size of a carafe. If this happens there is too much air in the bottle. Too much air will change the taste.
Although the whiskey is taken out of the bottle and put into the carafe, the taste of the whiskey will remain the same. It is important that a few requirements are met if you want to preserve the taste of the whiskey in the carafe. The following points should be considered:
- Make sure the carafe is airtight, there should be as little outside influences as possible.
- Make sure your carafe is clean before you put new whiskey in it. For this it is useful to use the cleaning balls. These clean every part of a carafe. If the carafe is not clean properly, it is possible that the flavor will change because of the residue.
- Make sure the carafe is at the same temperature at all times. Temperature differences will cause the taste to deteriorate. It is best for the whiskey to be stored between 15 and 18 degrees.
- Make sure the carafe is not in direct sunlight.
- Make sure the carafe is not less than half full. If the carafe is less than half full, there will be too much air in the whiskey. This will cause the taste to weaken within a month.
- Make sure the whiskey is kept in the dark before you put it in the carafe. This has not much to do with the carafe but is to ensure the taste of the whiskey. A dense bottle of whiskey can be kept for a very long time.
DIFFERENCE WHISKEY CARAFES
You can distinguish whiskey carafes in terms of shapes and materials. The shapes can of course not be counted on one hand. There are round carafes, squares carafes and 34324 other shapes. With the materials there are generally only 2 types possible. Glass decanters and crystal decanters.
Glass carafes are generally cheaper than crystal carafes. This is because crystal carafes are more expensive to produce than glass carafes.
Crystal carafes are only recommended if they are lead free. Lead is poisonous. If the whiskey is in the carafe for a long time, the lead will slowly give off in the drink. So it is certainly recommended that you look carefully to see if there is lead in the carafe. In the past a lot of crystal with lead was used, but nowadays the crystal glass is produced lead free. This prevents that problem
A nice fact is that crystal glass can only be called that when it contains 10% lead. Because lead is poisonous and gives off in the drink, today’s crystal carafes are made of lead-free crystal glass. Titanium oxide is the substitute for lead. This is non-toxic and also a lot stronger than lead. It is also true that the crystal sound is guaranteed.
All Whisiskey carafes are of course lead free.